5.29.2011

boundaries.

Josh didn't sleep at all last night, so I drove most of the way to Seattle today. And I suddenly had a profound thought while I was going 70 MPH on I-5.
I was right next to a car, and my imagination went wild. What if that car suddenly came into my lane, for just a split second? Disaster.

[ok that wasn't my profound thought...]

And then something popped into my head that I heard awhile ago.
"There is freedom within boundaries."
"Well," you might think, "that makes no sense, and it's completely oxymoronic."
That's what I thought at first, too. But think about it. Remember when you were a kid, and your parents told you that you had to stay within sight of them when you played at the park? Or to not go past the edge of the driveway? Beyond those borders is danger. It's the same as when you're driving. I've been to third world countries like Mexico and Puerto Rico and Haiti, where the lines in the road mean nothing. It's absolute chaos. But when you're driving in America, people follow the rules with the lines, except for the occasional drunk, of course. But what if randomly, people just decided to drive wherever the heck they wanted to?


[ok, those are lines, but you get the idea...]


Obviously, we wouldn't be safe anymore.

I think people get so defensive about having freedom because they think it means they can do whatever they want. But, if we could do whatever we wanted, this world would be even worse than we could fathom. We are sinful people, by nature. Just think about it; What if we had no laws, or boundaries, or borders, or fences...?



1 comment:

momma said...

Wisdom beyond your years