11.05.2008

day of prayer.

how appropriate that today - election day - was set aside as a day of prayer. 
it was so encouraging - personally, and corporately. 
we started off with our morning lecture, but at 10:30 we were finished and had until 5:30 (dinner and then 7 for classes) to do as we pleased. Seemed like most of the campus was quiet today. So peaceful, knowing that about 100 students were coming together in prayer, but in their own time. 
we had a website for prayer requests, where students could post something anonymously or publicly. it was nice having so many things to pray about. we had de-briefing tonight, and it was really amazing hearing so many stories. for some, it was a struggle to pray and be still all day. others, it turned into a day of praise. for me, and alot of the students, I felt like there wasnt enough time. there were so many things that kept popping into my head. "oh i need to pray for that....oh and that too. oh I'll pray for that later...." i must admit, tho, i had to start off with a nap. i was so exhausted today, so i slept for about an hour, and then i was up and ready. so excited to see what would happen. i journaled for about an hour. for me, journaling helps me stay focused, and its so amazing to be able to look back and see prayers that God has answered later down the line. anyways....so i did that for about an hour, and i really wanted to set aside about a half hour where i wasnt writing and just listening. but some of my friends called me and said they were going to have a small worship gathering in the classroom. it was all girls, so that was nice and NOT distracting. they all had lovely voices too :) simple and beautiful. 
this weeks speakers are pretty diverse. we have a "christian life" speaker, and i really enjoy him. then we have a genesis speaker. and i dont know how i feel about him yet...he doesnt really speak about genesis alot, I feel. seems like he tells alot of personal stories. he has notes outlined, and he skips over everything saying, "you can read over this later on your spare time..." and im thinking.... well isnt that what classroom time is for...for you to teach us?   whatever. I'm just nervous about the test. he has some interesting stories, but come test time, its going to be like my junior year u.s. history class. (my teacher was a football coach. imagine THOSE stories and come test time. yikes.) and on top of that, I'm really kinda sick of genesis. sounds horrible, i know, but this is like week 3 of it in a row. plus, hes skipping over so much because of Dr. Chittick being so thorough last week. "Dr. Chittick went over this last week, right? Ok....just skip it." 
anyways. It was really great getting together with a small group of girls, bringing our prayer requests forward, frustrations and praises. so encouraging to hear that other people are going through the same thing.
and you know where this is going...the election. I wasn't really shocked, actually. But here's something God has shown to me this year. It was as I was praying for my roommates at home. When you pray that God's will is done, you know that whatever happens isnt by accident...but in fact is in plan and is exactly how its supposed to be. So, despite the fear I have about our upcoming president, I am trying to rest in the fact knowing that God puts who he wants in power for a reason. There were some terrible kings in the bible....but they were there for a purpose. So there. This is whats supposed to happen. Its not an accident. 
One of my roommates told me today that its official - shes not going to stay for the next terms. It really makes me sad because I feel like we connect. One other roommate is questioning if she really wants to be here. And my third roommate is here for sure, but I'm considering moving to another dorm. I would feel terrible for leaving her here, tho. [wow that sounds like im leaving the state or something haha] Anchorage dorm [my dorm] is set up like appartments, the doors leading to the outside. The other dorms have indoor hallways, where everyone mingles. I feel like i know Old Ecola girls more than I know my Anchorage girls. I love the social interaction in Old Ecola [where I am considering moving into next term] ...and I feel like I'm a wilting flower here in Anchorage. I guess I just need to pray about it....good answer for everything.
Anyways, I better get to bed soon. I've been staying up way too late lately. 

1 comment:

Michelle Simpson Photos said...

Sounds like an amazing day! I agree with you about the election. I'm not happy about it, but I know that God knows what he's doing.