10.05.2008

procrastination.

Today was filled with beautiful nothing.
Mom and I are taking advantage of these last few days together, just driving around, getting coffee, running errands, enjoying the sunshine/hail/rain [all at the same time, if you can imagine that] knowing full well we have so much awaiting for us at home. So many things to pack and sort. 
"But they can wait..." momma said today. "It's too beautiful out. Who wants to be home today? Not me..." So out we went :) 
Procrastinating with my mother. One of my favorite things to do. 
We finally came home, ready to make dinner. Dad was already home [4:30 is early for him] so we all chatted during dinner preparations. It was nice being able to have dinner with them. Working nights sure cut that out of my schedule for the last year.
While we ate dinner, we watched "Extreme Home Makeovers." [We're dorks. I know.] But this one touched me...nearly had me crying a few times. It was about a family of 4. The parents were deaf, and their youngest son was blind and autistic. And it suddenly hit me... I have such a soft spot for the deaf. I have always been interested in sign language, and love trying to communicate with the deaf. They're generally such happy people because they love life; they have a deeper respect for it. Its so inspiring! I think I want to learn more sign language. 
Something that also encouraged this little seed was an interesting conversation I had this morning with one of our tenants. He's such a big sweetheart!! No one is a stranger to him; he can talk off anyones ear, but you want to hear what he has to say! He has such a passion for life. We talked for a good half hour this morning, and he pressed and encouraged me to learn as much in life as possible. "Find your 'bread and butter' career, but in your spare time, find what interests you and learn about it!! Go after your photography, your singing. Its great having dreams. Go after them. But don't forget to sit down and figure out what else you want to learn." 
So that's what I am doing.  I have always thought that; learn as much as you can in life.
I realize that everything I am passionate about is really hard to make a living out of. 
Singing.
Acting.
Photography.
Writing.
Its all or nothing with them. So he's right... I probably need to find something else, and do those on the side. As frustrating as that is, its the truth. But good to realize that now instead of five years down the road, after finishing an expensive art school, and realizing that its not enough. 
Yes, I know I have so many things to learn. But I LOVE that. I am so thankful for life. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it great day, beginning to end...